Situational distress refers to specific life events and everyday challenges to our survival that can impact our feelings and thoughts of suicide. For example, housing insecurity.
LGBTQ+ people experience homelessness at higher rates than the general population. Experiencing homelessness has profound impacts on every part of our health and wellbeing.
Even if you aren’t at risk of homelessness, finding safe and affirming housing is important. You can check local LGBTQ+ social media pages or local community boards for housemates and rentals.
Did you know there are services that can help you get short-term or long-term secure housing?
- Accommodation Services – The Gender Centre INC | The Gender Centre provides accommodation services to 18+ trans and gender diverse people who are homeless or at risk of becoming homeless
- Youth Housing – LGBTIQA Homelessness – Twenty10 inc. GLCS NSW | Twenty10 provides information and support to young (16-25) LGBTIQA+ people who are experiencing homelessness or who at risk of homelessness
- LGBTIQ+ support | VincentCare | VincentCare is a specialist accommodation and homelessness support service for people who are experiencing homelessness or at risk of becoming homeless
- Birribee Housing | Birribee Housing | Birribee Housing seeks to strengthen the Aboriginal community-controlled housing sector in lots of different ways and aim to deliver significant improvements in housing outcomes for Aboriginal people across NSW
- Link2home – Sydney Homeless Connect | Link2home is a statewide telephone service providing information, assessment and referral to specialist homelessness services, temporary accommodation and other appropriate services for people who are homeless or at risk of homelessness
- Tenants advice and advocacy program | NSW Fair Trading | The Tenants Advice and Advocacy Program (TAAP) provides tenancy advice and advocacy services to tenants throughout NSW.
- Home – Community Housing Industry Association NSW | The Community Housing Industry Association are advocates for community housing
- Community housing | Family & Community Services (nsw.gov.au) | Community Housing NSW is affordable rental housing for people on very low to moderate incomes that is generally managed by not-for-profit community housing organisations